Thank you for your sustained dedication to your legal studies and your flexibility in continuing your education during the COVID-19 pandemic. NSL’s goal is to enable you to complete this school year on schedule with as few disruptions as possible. While the finish line is not yet clearly in sight, we will finish the race together.
Based on current information, and in light of guidelines issued by the federal, state, and local governments, the School has developed a plan for the administration of final exams.
Exams will be held at the time and date previously scheduled.
- Exams will be taken off site using ExamSoft.
- Provisions will be made for students unable to take exams off site.
Detailed information follows, but updates and specific details will be provided for each exam. Please watch your email for updated information and follow the most recent instructions you receive, as plans may change as the situation develops.
Final exams will be held as scheduled. The current schedule is as follows:
|4154||Advanced Legal Studies||Shonholtz||4/30/20|
|4124||Bar Exam Workshop||Hudson||4/22/20|
|4014||Business Associations||R-B Johnson||4/27/20|
|1104L||Con. Crim. Law & Procedure||Frogge/Funk||5/7/20|
|3034L||Estate Planning||Dodson||Take-home Paper|
|5231L||Intellectual Prop. & Tech Law||Lanquist||4/22/20|
|5031L||Negotiation & Drafting of|
Music Industry Agreements
|5404L||Theory & Practice of Negotiation||Bridgesmith||Take-home|
Unless designated otherwise, all exams will be administered using the ExamSoft program. Students using ExamSoft will be permitted to take the exam off site at a place of their choosing and at the same time the exam would have been administered at the School. Students will have the option to take the exam at the School at the originally scheduled time if they are unable to take the exam off site.
If you choose to take the exam at the School, you must contact Heather Bright at least one week prior to administration of the exam to inform the School of your plans. The School will mandate appropriate social distancing measures for those students taking the exam at the School.
- Any exam that is handwritten (not on ExamSoft) must be taken at the School.
- Any student unable to take the exam at the scheduled time will be required to take the exam at the School within one week of the administration of the exam. This option is reserved for extreme circumstances only.
- For students receiving test accommodations, the School will contact you directly regarding arrangements for your testing.
Exam Conditions and Reminders
- Faculty members will communicate directly with their students regarding the format of their exam and expectations, particularly if there are changes to original exam plans.
- Students will receive emails prior to each exam with detailed instructions. Students are responsible for ensuring the School has a current email address (update in SONIS) and for following all instructions provided.
- Make sure ExamSoft software on personal computers is up to date well in advance of taking any exam.
- Exams will be available for download at least 24 hours prior to the examination. Students will receive an email when an exam is ready for download and should download it at their location as soon as the exam becomes available.
- The password for each exam will be emailed to all students in the course at 6 p.m. CDT on the day of the exam.
- All final exams begin at 6:30 p.m. Standard exam time allotted for two- and three-credit courses is 210 minutes. The time allotted for a one-credit course is 100 minutes. Professors may make adjustments to these time requirements.
- ExamSoft will be programed to enable students to keep track of the elapsed time once they begin an exam and the program will limit the amount of time allowed for taking the exam. Students will receive an alert five minutes before the allotted time expires. The ExamSoft program will automatically shut itself down and upload the exam when the allotted time has expired.
- Students must begin and end the exam within the prescribed window of 6 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. (or 9 p.m. for one-credit classes).
- Once students begin the exam, they must complete it. The elapsed time will not be suspended once the exam is opened.
- The exam window does not include time required to upload the exam, but students should upload their exams as soon as they are finished.
- The ExamSoft software will provide confirmation that a test has successfully uploaded. Students may also receive email confirmation if their individual settings are properly configured.
- Students should not contact the School to verify that an exam has been uploaded. There will be no independent confirmation from the School that a test has been received. The School will contact students directly if a completed exam has not been received.
- Questions may be directed to Chip Loser or email ExamSoft or call (866) 429-8889.
- The School is unable to provide technical support during exams. If your computer freezes or otherwise malfunctions, turn off your computer and restart it, which often remedies the problem. No additional time will be given for computer malfunctions. Notify Chip Loser immediately if you cannot resume your exam, and the School will arrange for you to complete the exam at the School.
All work on an exam must be a student’s own. The Honor Code is in effect for all exams, regardless of manner and location of administration.
All provisions of Section 16 of the Policies and Procedures apply to exams.
The School is not suspending the grading system or moving to a pass/fail approach as some other law schools have done. More details about the grading scale can be found in Section 17 of the Policies and Procedures.
Thank you for your cooperation as we navigate these uncertain times. Do not hesitate to contact Heather Bright should you have any questions or if staff can be of any assistance.